BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 16, 2011

#RomanticFridayWriters #Fridayflash - Bouquet, 400 words of #flashfiction.


It’s in the Box

How well Alicia remembered David’s first gift, a classic perfume from the 60s by Guerlain.

‘Do you like it?’ He'd squirted the air. ‘Mmm, what a bouquet…’

Bouquet? Yes, of cow dung…‘Mmm, a certain something, darling,’ she'd replied.

She’d sprayed it around the apartment with the windows open, in the linen cupboard, in the kitchen bin, even on herself when she had to. If she used her favourite Guerlain classic Jicky, David still thought she was wearing his ‘Ikkie’ (her word.)

Last week she’d been ready when he nuzzled her ear and whispered, ‘Are you wearing my perfume?’

‘No, honey. Perfumes don’t last forever, sadly.’ Thank God.

So, another anniversary, another gift. She loved David, she really did, it was just his taste in perfume she loathed. This box, however, showed promise, nice and small, hmm, maybe...

‘Open it!’ he cried, holding it under her nose.

‘What!’ she squeaked, ‘David, you’ve outdone yourself !’

A minature bottle of ‘Ikkie.’ 

‘It was an extra they gave me when I bought the last bottle. I kept it for when you ran out.’

Gulp.

‘Don’t you like it darling? I thought you loved that bouquet. Why, I could even smell it in the garbage bin.’

‘David, I must tell you…’

‘Hey, look Allie. Where did that come from?’

 He whipped out another little box and flipped the lid.

There, artfully arranged on white satin was the most adorable white gold sapphire and diamond ring.

‘David! It’s exquisite!’

‘And so is my Alicia.’ He knelt on the floor.

‘My darling, will you marry me?’

‘Yes, yes, yes!’

‘You didn’t think I had it in me?’

‘Er, no, of course I knew you did sweetie.’

‘Now, what about your little bottle of perfume?’

‘David, I need a change.’

‘Thought you might say that.’ He winked. ‘Hey, there might be another box...ta da!'

There it was, Jicky, its golden stopper glinting in the morning light.

‘How did you know I like Jicky?’

‘Well, do you really think I couldn’t tell the difference? But I let you go on pretending.’

‘Oh, David. I should’ve been honest. I didn’t want to hurt you.’

‘I know darling. A woman who’ll wear perfume she hates for a year must really love her man. I fell in love with you all over again when I saw you spraying it on, just for me.’

‘Oh, David…’

‘Come here love.’ He took the ring and slipped it on her finger.
  
I hope you liked my story for #RFWer and #Fridayflash. To read more click on the badges in the sidebar.
407 words. FCA

 ©DeniseCovey2011
  
Denise

18 comments:

Sonia Lal said...

Oh that's so sweet!

Denise Covey said...

Sonia: Oh, thanks!

Denise

Sarah Tokeley said...

See Denise, THIS is why I don't write romance, that was lovely, not how I expected it to finish.

I tried, I really did, but all I came up with was 'bouquet of barbed wire' and I won't tell you where that went :-)

Maybe next week.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Lovely Bouquet (as in perfume), darling! Ha ha, how many women have gone through that same agony over perfume they hated.

You made my day with giggle-factor! ;)

best
F

dolorah said...

Ah; this is such an adorable couple. I love how understanding they are of each other's personalities.

........dhole

Adura Ojo said...

Awwww...it's so romantic and incredibly realistic too. Wow! It's amazing what we'd do for that special one in our lives. Thank you for sharing this lovely story.

Just started working on my entry. The only words in my head right now are not the right ones, lol. I'm channelling some of the lovely vibes in your story and that of other entries to help me along. It should be ready before the deadline. Hopefully:)

Denise Covey said...

Thx for lovely comments. Yes what we'll do for those we love, ha ha. D

Deanna Schrayer said...

Denise, I can't help but be reminded of the first gift my then boyfriend (now husband) gave me for my birthday - a vaccuum cleaner - yes, I said a vaccuum cleaner! Eventually he learned, though it took him a lot longer than David.

Lovely story!

Unknown said...

Hahaha! That's really sweet.

" I could even smell it in the garbage bin." I love that line!

So adorable that he knew the whole time.

Beverly Diehl said...

Love the humor in this piece, especially about smelling it in the garbage bin.

I'm delighted she was finally honest with him at the last - and he with her.

J.L. Campbell said...

Denise, I chuckled all the way through this. I couldn't see myself wearing his Ikky either. :D

Unknown said...

Dear Denise,
This is so sweet and sounds like a real conversation between two people who love each other. It's good that they could be honest, and still be kind. Their love has a better chance of survival that way.
Happy weekend!
Anna
Anna's 'An Unusual Bouquet' RFWers challenge No 19

Anonymous said...

This is delightful, Sis! And the writing is PERFECT!!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Steve Green said...

That certainly is true love, with consideration like that they're going to have a wonderful marriage. :)

Denise Covey said...

Steve: Yes, I think so.Thanks for dropping by.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Great perfume names
LOL! icky and jicky! :O)

Denise Covey said...

Jicky is actually a perfume name. I love it! D

Li said...

This brought back memories of bad gifts :-) It was a known fact in high school that I had hayfever and allergies, so I've always let it be known to guys that there are only 2 or 3 perfumes which I can wear with impunity *sly grin*.